Magnificat: Visit Magnificat’s website!
Chorworks Workshops 2015:
New York City, June 25 – 27, 2015
Brumel Earthquake Mass – a Chorworks Early Music Workshop
St. Ignatius of Antioch Church, 552 West End Avenue, NY. NY 10024
Registration from 6:30pm
Workshop 10am, concluding with an informal sing-through at 5:00pm
Seniors >65: $55
Full time students: $45
We will provide refreshments, but meals are on your own.
Chorworks 11th Annual Summer School
L’homme armé – The Armed Man
June 29 – July 4, 2015, George Washington University, Washington, DC
This year – Chorworks’ 11th annual summer workshop – we dive into turbulent musical waters: Battle Music! From Janequin’s extravagant programmatic chanson La Guerre to the excitement of Monteverdi’s late madrigals, we will study, sing and hear music by Banchieri, Carissimi, Clemens, Dering, Gabrieli, Lassus, Schütz, Victoria, Werrecore et al.
The workshop is for all levels of singers from advanced high school upwards, for choir directors, and for those who simply wish to listen and learn more about this glorious music. Chorworks’ week-long workshop is spent singing and learning glorious music, listening to performances and talks, and participating in seminars with leading performers and scholars. Our international faculty are:
All of the faculty are distinguished performers as soloists and have been members of ensembles such as The Sixteen, The Tallis Scholars, Anonymous 4 and The King’s Singers. They will lead daily rehearsals, explore and discuss repertoire and performance issues in depth, coach ensembles, and offer voice lessons to work on individual vocal technique.
The main workshop runs from Tuesday June 30th and concludes on Saturday July 4th with a concert and a closing reception. In addition, we offer an optional extra day of sectional and full rehearsal on Monday 29th June for those who would enjoy a little more time to familiarize themselves with the music. Workshop costs includes tuition, seminars and other musical activities, and daily refreshments. Copies of music are supplied to participants electronically; private voice lessons are available at a modest extra charge.
Each day offers a full program of singing and listening from 9:00am to 9:00pm. The mornings begin with a vocal warm-up, focusing on aspects of vocal technique relevant to the week’s singing, followed by a mixture of full and sectional rehearsals. After lunch, a seminar or discussion takes place before further rehearsal activity. The evenings feature a reflection on the day’s music, when participants will sing alongside the faculty.
On Friday evening, faculty will give an evening concert for you, and on Saturday afternoon, it is the participants’ turn to present an informal performance of music we have studied during the week.
Monday – Pre-workshop Day: Director’s Reception & open rehearsal with faculty
Tuesday – Lunchtime concert by Magnificat
Wednesday & Thursday – Sally Dunkley discusses the week’s music
Friday – Special visit to the Music Collection at the Folger Library, and evening concert by Magnificat and guests
Saturday – afternoon concert by participants, and Independence Day fireworks on the National Mall!
Set in the nation’s Capital, minutes away from the cultural and political center of the country, the workshop is located at George Washington University. Since 1912, GW’s Foggy Bottom Campus has been a part of the historic Foggy Bottom neighborhood, only blocks from the White House, State Department, World Bank and world-class museums. More than 100 campus buildings house classrooms, libraries, residence halls, fitness centers and the medical center, with close proximity to shops, restaurants, clubs and galleries.
Affordable lodging is available on campus in the dorm in shared rooms. Each room has a private bath, refrigerator and microwave. Room space is limited and will be allocated on a first come first served basis. Please reserve early! Dorm rooms will be available from June 29th (check in afternoon of June 29) – July 4th (check out morning of July 5), for a package totaling 6 nights.
Refreshments (coffee, tea, light nibbles) will be provided, and meals are on your own. There are many restaurants on and around the campus as well as a Whole Foods grocery store, a Starbucks, assorted food in the GW dining hall, and a few cafes directly across the street from, or next door to, the music building.
PRE-REGISTRATION is required as music will be emailed to registered participants, who are asked to be familiar with their notes before the workshop begins!
Registration & Fees:
If you have any further queries, please contact us:
- Main workshop: $595 includes tuition, music (provided via e-mail), daily refreshments, and admission to Magnificat’s Friday evening concert.*
- Additional pre-workshop day on Monday 29th June: $75
- Individual voice lessons with faculty member (45 min.): $75 each**
- Early Byrd discount: register and pay in full by April 1st and save $30
- PART-TIME OPTION – for those who have daytime commitments, attend on the weekend and each evening for half the cost!
- Newcomers: first-time attendees receive a $100 discount.
- Introduce-a-Friend discount: $100 discount for the newcomer(s) you recommend, and $50 discount for you for each completed registration!
- Discounts are also available for full-time music students, group applications, and EMA members. Please enquire for details.
- You must mention discounts when registering. Discounts may not be combined.
- Dorm lodging: Lodging will be available on campus in the dorm at a rate of $35 per night per person for a shared room (3 or 4 people of the same gender to a room – 2 people to a room for married couples) Tax is 14.5%. One time Linen Fee is $12. All rooms contain twin beds. Each room has a private bath with tub and shower, refrigerator and microwave. Room space is limited and will be allocated on a first come first served basis. Please reserve early! Dorm rooms are available from the night of June 29th through the night of July 4th, for a package totaling 6 nights for $252.45. Rooms must be paid in full to Chorworks by the 15th of May.
By e-mail: email@example.com
Cell & emergency contact # 540-841-5639
We hope to see you there!
Sandy Becker, Chorworks Administrator