SAVE THE DATE! Our 2015 annual summer workshop will be Tuesday 30th June – Saturday 4th July at George Washington University in Washington DC. Make plans now to join us, and lodge in the dorm, just minutes walking distance from the National Mall, to end your week of fabulous choral music with a spectacular 4th of July in DC!!!
More details soon!
Chorworks 2014 Season
Coaching and concerts by members of MAGNIFICAT,
The Tallis Scholars, Stile Antico, and The Sixteen
New York City, June 21, 2014
Tudor Treasures - a one-day workshop
10AM – 5PM
Music by Taverner, Tallis, Byrd and Gibbons
6:30PM concert by MAGNIFICAT
St. Ignatius of Antioch Church
552 West End Avenue, NY. NY 10024
9:30am Registration & coffee
12:30pm Lunch (brown bag or local restaurants)
3:30 Master Class with Magnificat
4:30 Informal sing-through
6:30 CONCERT by MAGNIFICAT
Music by Taverner, Tallis, Mundy Byrd & Gibbons
Registration for workshop only (includes music for download & light refreshments)
$55 Regular/$45 Senior/$25 Students (<25yoa)
Concert only: $35 Regular/$25 Seniors/$10 Students
Workshop, reception and evening concert package: $75 Regular/$60 Seniors/$30 Students
Early Byrd discount: register and pay in full before May 1st and deduct $5!
Chorworks 10th Annual Summer School
My Beloved is Mine - Music from the Song of Songs
June 23-28th 2014, George Washington University, Washington, DC
This year – Chorworks’ 10th annual summer workshop – we explore a rich and varied repertory of music from across Europe. We will study, sing and hear luscious music by Palestrina, Clemens, Gombert, Lassus, Guerrero, Victoria, Isaac, L’Héritier, Franck, Schütz, Tomkins and others. The texts of all the pieces are drawn from the richly-worded biblical love song The Song of Songs, also known as Canticum Canticorum, or The Song of Solomon, or The Canticles.
The workshop is for all levels of singers from advanced high school upwards, for choir directors, and for those who simply wish to listen and learn more about this glorious music. Chorworks’ week-long workshop is spent singing and learning glorious music, listening to performances and talks, and participating in seminars with leading performers and scholars. In this our 10th anniversary year, our special faculty consists of members of the UK early music ensemble MAGNIFICAT:
Sally Dunkley, Amy Haworth, Benedict Hymas, William Dawes, Giles Underwood, with guest faculty James Kennerley and director Philip Cave
All of the faculty are distinguished performers as soloists and in ensembles such as The Sixteen, The Tallis Scholars, and Stile Antico. They will lead daily rehearsals, explore and discuss repertoire and performance issues in depth, coach ensembles, and offer voice lessons to work on individual vocal technique.
The main workshop runs from Tuesday 24th June and concludes on Saturday 28th with a concert and a closing reception. In addition, we offer an optional extra day of sectional and full rehearsal on Monday 23rd June for those who would enjoy a little more time to familiarize themselves with the music. Workshop costs includes tuition, seminars and other musical activities, and daily refreshments. Copies of music are supplied to participants electronically; private voice lessons are available at a modest extra charge.
Each day offers a full program of singing and listening from 9:00am to 9:00pm. The mornings begin with a vocal warm-up, focusing on aspects of vocal technique relevant to the week’s singing, followed by a mixture of full and sectional rehearsals. After lunch, a seminar or discussion takes place before further rehearsal activity. The evenings feature a reflection on the day’s music, when participants will sing alongside the faculty.
On Friday evening, Magnificat will give an evening concert, and on Saturday evening, it is the participants’ turn to present an informal performance of music we have studied during the week.
Set in the nation’s Capital, minutes away from the cultural and political center of the country, the workshop is located at George Washington University. Since 1912, GW’s Foggy Bottom Campus has been a part of the historic Foggy Bottom neighborhood, only blocks from the White House, State Department, World Bank and world-class museums. More than 100 campus buildings house classrooms, libraries, residence halls, fitness centers and the medical center, with close proximity to shops, restaurants, clubs and galleries.
Affordable lodging is available on campus in the dorm in shared rooms. Each room has a private bath, refrigerator and microwave. Room space is limited and will be allocated on a first come first served basis. Please reserve early! Dorm rooms will be available from June 23rd – June 28th, for a package totaling 6 nights.
Refreshments (coffee, tea, assorted nibbles) will be provided, and meals are on your own. There are many restaurants on and around the campus as well as a Whole Foods grocery store, a Starbucks, assorted food in the GW dining hall next door, and a few cafes directly across the street from the music building.
PRE-REGISTRATION is required as we will e-mail you music scores in advance to print and bring with you.
Registration & Fees:
- Main workshop: $575 includes tuition, music (provided via e-mail), daily refreshments, and admission to Magnificat’s Friday evening concert.*
- Additional pre-workshop day on Monday 23rd June: $75
- Individual voice lessons with faculty member (45 min.): $65 each**
- Early Byrd discount: register and pay in full by April 1st and save $25
- PART-TIME OPTION – for those who have daytime commitments, attend on the weekend and each evening for half the cost! $285
- Introduce-a-Friend discount: Bring a newcomer to Chorworks and save $50 EACH on regular enrollment, or $25 each for part-time registrants! You must mention this discount when registering.
- Discounts are also available for full-time music students, group applications, and EMA members. Please enquire for details.
- Dorm lodging: Lodging will be available on campus in the dorm at a rate of $35 per night per person for a shared room (3 or 4 people of the same gender to a room – 2 people to a room for married couples) Tax is 14.5%. One time Linen Fee is $12. All rooms contain twin beds. Each room has a private bath with tub and shower, refrigerator and microwave. Room space is limited and will be allocated on a first come first served basis. Please reserve early! Dorm rooms are available from the night of June 23rd through the night of June 28th, for a package totaling 6 nights for $252.45. Rooms must be paid in full to Chorworks by the 15th of May.
*Payment in full for all tuition is due June 13, 2014.
**Voice lesson payment is due at registration at the start of the workshop.
By e-mail: email@example.com
By mail: Chorworks, 14 Hayes Street, Stafford, VA 22556
By phone: Office Phone/Fax 877-572-7251
Cell & emergency contact # 540-841-5639
We hope to see you there!
Sandy Becker, Chorworks Administrator