Chorworks is very sorry to have to announce the cancellation of this year’s Emerging Artists Program. In a statement issued today, Duke University announced:
“In light of the continuing uncertainty about our ability to safely conduct programming on campus over the next several months, Duke will be implementing the following changes for all university-sponsored summer programs: All Duke-sponsored academic curricular and co-curricular programs scheduled for the entire summer must be delivered remotely or online. No campus-based programming or classes will be permitted.”
Sadly, we cannot achieve our objectives online! We will obviously update our website as and when any alternative arrangements can be made. Please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org to add your name to our mailing list so we can stay in touch with you.
Duke University June 15-21, 2020
Applications due by 11:59 pm (EST) on April 15th, 2020
Chorworks at Duke University invites applications for the 2020 Emerging Artists Program (June 15 – 21, 2020) from experienced young singers. Participants are selected on the basis of ability and supporting materials.
Singers invited to the Program will receive a Fellowship covering the full cost of tuition and housing. Travel costs and meals are not included.
All applicants must follow the procedures outlined below. Applicants will receive their results on or before Monday 5 April 2019. Singers must submit all fees within ten days of acceptance to secure a place.
HOW TO APPLY
All applications must be COMPLETE and all parts RECEIVED by 11:59 pm (EST) on April 15th, 2020
A complete application must include:
- Online application form – Applications can be started, and then saved to be continued at a later time.
- Audition Video – containing vocal samples (upload as part of application). This video recording will be your only audition. Audio recordings will not be accepted. Live auditions will not be held for the program. Please read carefully the Audition Repertoire requirements listed below.
- Two letters of recommendation – (written after 9/1/19) After adding your recommender’s email to the Recommendation Section of the application, an email will be automatically generated and sent to him/her to complete. The recommendation will then be automatically uploaded to your application.
- One recommendation must include information for contact by e-mail or telephone.
- One letter must be from a recognized mentor (conductor or teacher) that includes a description of the candidate’s level of sight-reading ability.
- Repertoire List – (Upload as part of application) A list of works (with composers) that you have performed, coached and/or rehearsed.
- CV or Résumé reflecting experience and studies – (Upload as part of application) It is helpful to include information such as: your schools, private teachers, musical experience, music festivals attended and teaching experience.
- Non-refundable $80 application fee
PROGRAM & APPLICATION FEES
The Fellowship covers the full cost of tuition and housing. Travel costs and meals are not included.
- APPLICATION – $80 (non-refundable)
- REGISTRATION FEE – $300 (refundable)
- The registration fee is due upon acceptance of the Fellowship
- Fee must be paid by credit card (no cash or checks accepted)
- Visa, MasterCard or American Express only
- Registration fee is refundable after completion of the program subject to deductions in the event of damage or loss to any property.
Video recordings must be uploaded using the application system. The recordings or website links should be uploaded directly to the “Recordings” tab of the application. Poor quality recordings will NOT be evaluated.
If you have any questions about repertoire or the technical requirements please call the Duke Chapel Music office at (919) 684 3898.
- Demonstrate your vocal range and flexibility by singing ascending and descending harmonic minor scales unaccompanied at a gentle mezzo-piano one octave at a time. Begin towards the bottom of your range and sing the scales individually moving the scale up by a half-step each time, concentrating on accurate intonation and secure control. If necessary, you may give yourself a single note on the piano at each half-step, but without is preferred.
- Soprano and Bass: minimum two octaves.
- Alto/Countertenor: at least an octave-and-a-6th from low G (or lower)
- Tenor: at least an octave-and-a-6th from the C below middle C
- Arias and scales must be on separate tracks.
- Two pieces which you feel demonstrate the special qualities of your voice – one of these should be from the Renaissance or Baroque period and be sung with minimum vibrato as you see fit.
Candidates will be notified of the outcome of their application on or before April 30th 2020. A refundable registration fee of $300 must be paid by credit card within ten days of acceptance to secure one’s position. The fee will be refunded after completion of the program subject to deductions in the event of damage or loss to any property. All fees are required upon acceptance of Fellowship.